Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's almost March!

Wow, can you believe it? Crazy times! On Friday I will be celebrating my fifth anniversary with my husband. Then on Sunday, we'll be piling into the car with the baby and my MIL and heading out to Tennessee to see her parents and then my dad and stepmom. First road trip with the baby. It's going to be a very, ahem, interesting, experience. Especially for a road warrior like me. But we are planning to break the trip up and expecting to have to stop at least every two hours or so, and also expecting that we will have minimal, if any, control over how long this thing ends up taking. I think that's as prepared as we can be, so hopefully it will go well.

Anyhoo, as promised, here are the photos of the February swap squares I sent my sister. Only one new square for this month. It is the Tricolor Square from, where else, 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets by Jan Eaton.


I think it's fair to say this block is actually the centerpiece of the blanket, but I won't say more because I still want the final picture to be a surprise.

Here's the complete block:



This week I just focused on Yoshi. I got his head done and started on his body. Here's a gander:


I think overall what I love about this project the most is that he really actually looks like Yoshi. I wasn't too sure how it would turn out. I think it's safe to say there may be a few more Nintendo-themed blankets in my future.

I'll focus on Yoshi again this week, but I am not going to be taking him on my trip. There are just too many skeins of yarn involved with this one, and it's gotten to the point where it's big enough that I just don't think it will travel well.

So instead I'll have two small projects to take with me. The first is going to be my attempt at a Gir beanie for a friend of mine. A while back she posted a link to someone selling one on Etsy (here) and I thought to myself, well that doesn't look so difficult. So I am going to give it a try.

Here is a photo of the hat that I will use as my inspiration:


I do plan to make my version without using paint or felt though--crochet and stitching is the way I want to go.

I also want to make a blanket for that same friend's baby, who is a few weeks younger than my kiddo. I'm going to try my hand at the Bearghan posted on Chris Simon's page. Though I plan on using much more traditional bear colors--shades of brown with some black thrown in.

I'm not going to push myself to get these projects done while I am out of town, but I think that I can, so that is my starting goal at least.

I probably won't have a post for at least next week, and maybe not the week after, so I hope everyone's March get's off to a wonderful start.

Until next time,
C

No comments: