Saturday, January 2, 2010

Holy Hannah, it's the future already!

Wow, 2010, can you believe it? Happy New Year, folks! I hope you had a fantastic holiday season and are rearing and ready to get back into normality.

I know I have been a little AWOL lately, but I have been sadly slacking in the crochet department since the last post. I am *still* not finished with that poor pair of cabled socks--though I am almost done with the gusset of the second sock so I should have a new post soon to show off the finished project.

After that I want to assemble my sister swap blanket, and I'll have photos of that--I need to check with my sister to see if, a) we're doing a swap this year (we'd better get on it if we are, huh?), and b) if she's had a chance to assemble her blanket yet. But I'll have finished photos of both up once they're completed.

Next up, I need to really dig into the Yoshi blanket. I haven't made any further progress on it, sadly, beyond the first five squares. But my goal for this month is to get the top three and bottom three rows completed (they are the only rows in the blanket that are all blue).

In other news, I have officially decided to branch out and teach myself to knit. I've been dithering about it for a while, but I have finally decided to give it a go. That is actually one of my New Year's not-resolutions (more of a goal, really). I primarily want to be able to knit socks. As far as blankets go, crochet is the undisputed ruler with me, but I have realized I definitely prefer the look and feel of knitted socks. In addition to socks in general, I want to learn how to make four other things:

1: The house slippers my mom always made for us growing up.

This will, in fact, be my first actual knitting project to tackle. I've got the pattern from my mom and some yarn I think will work. I go to buy my starter kit this week, so maybe I can get a pair done by the end of the month. We shall see.

2: The teddy bears my mom always made for us growing up.

I don't have any photos, but Mom always made these super cute little teddy bears, and I want to make some for my daughter (and the progeny of all of my friends, who seem to be spawning like crazy).

3: The Jayne hat. (see photo)


For those of you not in the know, this is the hat worn in the Firefly episode "The Body" and is a huge symbol of the Browncoats and of geekery in general. In fact, I actually want to make 2--one for myself and one for my husband--so that we can wear them to this year's Can't Stop the Serenity event. So that gives me until about mid-June or so to make them.

4: The Doctor's scarf. (see photo)


Tom Baker immortalized this scarf and it is also a huge symbol of geekery. I know, I know, you're saying, wait a minute, didn't you try this last year? Didn't it crash and burn horribly? Well, yes, but there are a few reasons for that. First, I was trying to convert from knit to crochet, which just wasn't having a look I was digging. Second, and more importantly, I was just kind of winging it with the colors and not trying to make the actual scarf. This time around I am going to go by the actual pattern, colors and all. So I am hoping it will be a much more successful attempt. My secret hope for this scarf is that my daughter will one day steal it for her very own, whether or not she realizes the nerd cred attached to such an item.

So there you go, that's what I've got working thus far into the new year. Even with the baby, I am definitely starting this year off much more refreshed than the last--where I was coming off a seven and a half year stretch of purgatory known as my job at the cable company.

I hope you and yours are all doing well so far this year. Let's make it a magnificent one, folks!

Peace,
C

No comments: