Sunday, July 5, 2009

Plodding along.

Well, my plan to switch projects seems to have worked pretty well. I am 14 squares into my baby blanket, and hope to get another 6-8 done today. We'll see how long my hand holds out!

As expected, the squares are turning out to be much smaller than in the original pattern. My pre-project estimate that it would only take 20 squares to make a baby blanket was a little optimistic it turns out. 20 squares at the normal size, sure. But as it is, it looks like it will take the full 48 called for in the pattern to get a full sized baby blanket.

That's okay though, because I still have more than enough yarn (due, of course, to the squares coming out so small). Also, this means that when I do the border I won't have to play around with numbers, I can just follow the directions to the letter, yay!

I am looking to be well on track to have this blanket finished by the end of July at the latest.

Yesterday I took a break from my project to do a few little odds and ends. I added some pockets to my water bottle holder so that it can also hold my phone, a house key, and chapstick. I finally had to cave in and get some gym shorts to wear on my daily walks due to the lovely Texas heat, even in the early morning. Unfortunately, I managed to buy shorts without pockets and didn't realize it until I got home, so, upgrade to water bottle holder. I didn't take any pictures of that because it's a little sloppy, but I was just going for functional, so it will work.

I also made my sister's swap square for July. I really liked the pattern she picked and am pretty excited about how the square turned out. I hope she enjoys it as much. She just moved this past week, so she'll have a nice happy package arriving at her new home. That will be fun.

Speaking of swap squares, here are the June squares.

Mine:



My sister's:


I picked the pattern for the squares from the Triangles Afghan and as you can see on mine, I followed the pattern pretty much by the letter. My sister, however, wasn't feeling the triangle look and so she decided to get creative. I am not sure how she came up with what she did, but I think it looks really awesome. I am getting very excited about how this blanket is going to look once it's finished.

Well, that's all I've got for this week. Next week I'll have some photos of the blanket in progress for you.

Have a great week all!

No comments: