Sunday, May 31, 2009

Trekkin' right on along...

Well, I made some pretty decent progress on stuff this week for once. I got a whole lot done around the house, had lunch with a friend, upped my exercise routine by three days a week...and oh yeah, I also crocheted quite a bit.

First off, I did make myself a little bottle carrier for when I go on my walks. It has come in quite handily and I am very proud of it. Here's a quick peek:


Of course, in my fears that I would make the shoulder strap too short I ended up making it far too long. When I first tried it on it hung past my knees! But a quick knot in the top of the loop has corrected that issue and now it is the perfect length. Huzzah!

Buoyed by my success with that, I went ahead and started on my next apparel project--the Blooming Bolero. The pattern appeared in the May/June 2008 issue of Crochet Today magazine.

For the most part this is a pretty easy pattern. It is really just a bunch of granny squares with extra shaping rows added and a few partial squares. The pattern itself calls for you to change color pretty much every row, but I wasn't really down with that and ended up going with all one color. Though I think after I get the main body finished I am going to do the edging in a pretty contrasting color maybe.

Here's a glimpse at some of the pieces. These are the partial squares used to make the front panels:


And here are the two squares joined up to make the back of the sweater:


I didn't get any pictures of the arm pieces unfortunately. Those kind of were a challenge for me for two reasons. First, after I (thought I had) finished them, I couldn't figure out how on Earth they were supposed to connect to the rest of the body or to themselves. So I went online and did a quick search and found out there was an error in the pattern when it was printed. Nothing huge, it just made me leave out a corner on each piece. So I ended up frogging back to the main granny square for each one and redoing the shaping correctly. Then, while I was doing that, a closer look at the pattern revealed I had only done the last row of shaping along one side of each square and it needed to be done on two. D'oh. So, got that all fixed up and all of a sudden the sleeves made sense to me! Amazing, huh?

Anyhoo, I've gotten everything all attached and now I am extending the length of the sweater a bit before I do the edging. I had always planned to make it longer, a bolero really doesn't suit me.

Here's a shot of where I am right now:


The solid double crochet at the bottom is my extension. I will probably do a few more inches of that and then start the edging.

I may not actually end up being able to fit in this though, sadly. Once I got the sleeves attached and tried it on it seems like the neck is really wide and the shoulders aren't quite sitting right. So either the edging makes up for that or my linebacker shoulders have prevented me from having yet another cute top. Sigh. But that's okay, I know lots of tiny people who would probably appreciate this if it ends up not fitting me. Crochet, much like life, is all about the trial and error.

Anyhoo, so that's what I've been up to. I've got a lot of baby prep going on this week but I do plan to finish up this project at least. Then I've got one more sweater to attempt and I'll dive back into the wonderful world of blankets.

I hope you all have a lovely week. Wow, can you believe it's already June tomorrow? Crazy times.

Later,
C

No comments: