Sunday, April 5, 2009

April showers bring...squares!

Well, as promised, now that it's April, here are the March squares my sis and I did for our swap.  The pattern chosen by my sis for March was the "Dream Catcher" by Sherri Welch.  

Here is the square I made:


And here is the square my awesome sister made for me:



I fear her blanket is going to end up a much more simple one than mine, but hopefully the love that went into it will count for something.  Besides, the squares I am making are machine washable and dryable--where hers can't be put in the dryer, so...well...yeah.  It balances out?

Oh well, we're both going to end up with an awesome sister-made blanket at the end of this experiment and I for one think that's pretty sweet.

Our square for April was my pick this month and I chose the pattern "Windowpane" by Chris Simon.  I am still trying to plot out the colors for this one, so I haven't started it yet, but will hopefully have it done by week's end.  Oddly enough, I did figure out already which pattern I want to choose for June and exactly how I am going to make that square.  Heh, I even made myself a little pattern swatch so I don't forget.  Go figure.  

Other than that, I have started on my first baby blanket for my baby.  It's called the "Accepted Blanket" and for those nerds out there it is based on the dresses that the Accepted wear in the Wheel of Time.  For those that aren't familiar with the Wheel of Time (and if you liked The Lord of The Rings books, you might want to give this series a try, it is high fantasay and quite awesome, but lengthy.  There are 11 books out so far and it looks like three more to come), here's a quick glimpse at what it is going to look like:



The Accepted are students in the White Tower and there's a very circular theme to the whole series--so I had originally thought to make this blanket round but wasn't really sure I could do a whole blanket that way, so I decided to go with a hexagon to give it a round feel but make it easier in the working.  Once the main portion of the blanket (all white) is completed, I will do two rows of single crochet (the main body is all double crochet) for each color of the seven "Ajahs" in the series (the different groups in the Tower).  So...basically, white blanket with a border of seven different colored bands.  

That's all I've got for you folks today.  I hope you all have a wonderful week, take care.

No comments: