Sunday, March 1, 2009

Now if I can just make it through August...

Man, it's already March?  Where the heck did February go to so quickly?  Granted, short month, but still.  Oh well, I am actually not going to complain.  I am expecting my first kiddo in mid-August, so the more quickly I can get to that point the better, I say.  Also, March means warm weather is starting to make its return.  I like warm weather.  That would be why I live in Texas.

Anyhoo, on to the crocheting!  I have completed my second amigurumi penguin.  This one was made using the Amigurumi Holiday Penguin pattern at Lion Brand's website.  The pattern is totally free but you may have to register to view it.  

Since the holidays are well over, however, I decided to change up the color of the penguin's hat and scarf, so instead made them purple, in honor of my alma mater, TCU.  Go Frogs!

Here's a look at the little guy:


And here's a closer shot:  
 
He's actually about twice as big as the other penguin I made, so this is a good size for a little one if you're looking for a quick project to gift someone.  Though if it's for a super little one, I would recommend using black yarn rather than safety eyes for the center of the eyes. 

This guy has gone to a good home with a friend of mine (another Horned Frog), who needed another penguin.  One can never have too many penguins.

I have to say my favorite thing about this whole pattern was the hat.  You can see that I was a little overenthusiastic in the stuffing of the hat...but aside from that it was just a neat little pattern.  I think I can totally adapt it to make myself (or my hatchling) a wizard hat in the near future.  Perhaps in Gryffindor colors?  Hmm...oh the possibilities!

Anyway, next up in the queue is an amigurumi giraffe, pattern also available at Lion Brand's site.  I think after I finish that I will take a break from the amigurumi for a while.  They are super easy and quick to make, but I find that assembling all of the pieces tends to annoy the crap out of me.  

Ooh, Lion brand is starting up a new crochet-along in the next few weeks, and it looks like it is going to be a sweater.  I may give it a whirl.  I think I need to go get some blocking materials though.  After visiting with my mom and watching her block a few things though, I have a much better idea of how it is done.  Maybe I am on the path to making clothing after all!  We'll have to see I guess.  I still think blankets are my true crochet love.

Speaking of blankets, two more quick things.  First off, for those of you sci-fi geeks, I found out this week that the final Wheel of Time novel has been announced for a fall 2009 release.  In addition to meaning I'll need to get started ASAP re-reading the whole series, this has also renewed my interest in making my "Accepted's Blanket" that I have been kicking around for a while.  I am going to wait to finish plotting it to find out if I am having a boy or a girl, and if it's a girl, it will totally be a baby blanket, otherwise it will be for me.

And finally, now that February has wrapped up, here are the swap squares my sister and I made for month two.  The pattern we used for February was Jessie's Square, from the 2007 Crochet Pattern A Day calendar.  You can find it at Amazon if you've any interest, there are some pretty cool patterns in there.  

Here's the square I made for my sis:


And here's the square she made for me:


Good stuff, no?  Anyway, I guess before I get to work on that giraffe I had better get my March square started.  

I hope you all have a lovely week.  Happy March!

No comments: