Sunday, November 2, 2008

Ooh, a project!

So, you may have noticed I did not post last week.  (hides head in shame)  Hmm, well, that might have just been because I didn't actually crochet anything that week.  Ergh.  See, I have four blankets I want to make for Christmas, and I have ordered the yarn for three of them (baby blankets), but I am waiting for the yarn to get here.  I really don't want to get started on anything that's going to suck me in until I have those finished, since they are for other people.  So, I have been reluctant to pick up any new projects lately.  Sigh.  I am one of those people who can really only do one project at once, unfortunately.  Also, I am dawdling on my sweater swatch because I really want it to come out right, but I do not have a whole lot of confidence in my sweater-making ability.  So...I've been dragging my feet.

This past week was a little better though.  I had been trying to figure out how I was going to carry my essentials (you know, ID, phone, chapstick, camera, etc.) to the bar for my husband's Halloween show.  My costume didn't have any pockets.  I was wearing kind of a medieval peasant dress with this awesome red cape, and it dawned on me, hey, I could carry a basket and be Red Riding Hood!  So I was rolling with that for a bit but then I realized I really didn't want to carry a basket around a bar all night (also, even though I don't drink, odds were I would drop it because I am a klutz...and that would just be bad, my iPhone would no likey).  

That's when I came up with the solution of crocheting up a little drawstring bag that I could tie around my wrist and forget about until I needed it.  

I grabbed some brown scrap felt I had (leftover from a long ago project that involved making stuffed trees, maybe one day I'll tell y'all that story) and sewed up a little cup shaped liner.  Then I took some brown yarn and some red yarn and crocheted up a little bag to go around the liner.  I did the yarn as double strand and I think it came out pretty cool looking.  But don't take my word for it, judge for yourseves:





I was really happy with how it came out.  Plus, it worked very well.  This may end up just being my show bag, seriously.  

This was my first try with doing double-strand crochet and I really liked that.  I think I may utilize that for the fourth Christmas blanket I want to make.  Now I just need to settle on the colors for that.  

I should see the first package of my yarn for the baby blankets come in the mail this week, so next week I'll probably show you the plan for those.  Hopefully all of the yarn will arrive soon.  I ended up having to order from two different stores because JoAnn's didn't have enough of the yarn I planned to use for the border, so I ordered that yarn from another site.  So that's two packages...then I see where JoAnn has charged me for my order from them, but it is not the full price of the order.  This leads me to believe that some of my yarn was on backorder (groan) and will be shipping separately, but I haven't gotten my shipping email notice yet, so I don't know for sure.  This may be the death knell for me ordering yarn online from JoAnn's or from the other site.  We'll have to see.  

Well, that's all I've got for you this week.  I hope all is well and that your projects are coming along nicely with no snags.  Take care!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, here I am in my costume from Friday, though sans cape:


Later y'all,
C

No comments: