Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two down, like a bazillion up...

Yay, I finished my CAL blanket on my trip!  I am really pleased with how it came out.  It is making a wonderful blanket to curl up with on the couch and watch my DVR stockpile as I try to get over the cold I picked up on my trip.  


I think my very favorite part of the blanket may actually be the border though.  I definitely have a new favorite border.  Here's a glimpse of my practice swatch (looks a bit like a tiara to me, or as my husband pointed out, Lady Liberty's headpiece).



And here you can see it on the actual blanket.  


I really do like this blanket pattern, though I do think the next time I make it I will use a smaller hook.  

I also finished up my secret project on the trip.  I will post pictures and write more on that once I've given it to the intended recipient.

I can post some fun pics of me working on it though.  Here I am at the ballgame with my project.  Mom's right next to me working on her own knitting project.


I also found an excellent way to keep my ball of yarn from rolling onto the ground at the stadium!  Huzzah for seat back cupholders--I wish we had those at the Ballpark in Arlington.  Of course, I always get bleacher seats for home games, so maybe it's just my frugality keeping me from the cupholders...

  

While this trip was great for finishing projects, it was also great for adding to the upcoming pile immensely.  First off, I went with my mom to a really cool yarn store in San Francisco called Art Fibers.  It's a pretty spiffy place.  They have sample yarn that you can play with, and you can keep any swatches you make, free of charge.  I also bought a few "taste samplers,"  snippets of yarn you can take home and try out to see if you want to buy more.  My mom also got me a cone/skein of this really awesome (and ridiculously expensive) yarn called Tasmania, in a very beautiful grean/brown color scheme (color 11).  Thanks Mom!  I've been trying to figure out what to do with my new fancy yarn, and I think what I may do is search for a pattern for a stuffed dragon to crochet.  It's a good color scheme for it.  

I had toyed with the idea of maybe trying to make a sweater out of the new yarn but I don't quite have enough.  I did find a few sweater patterns I want to give a try though, so wish me luck on those.  I also found a really cool baby blanket pattern that will be perfect for my co-worker if she picks more than one color.  

Then I was talking to my mom and sis about the awesomeness that is Ravelry and they were discussing the swaps that they are involved in.  I was thinking it might be fun to get involved in a blanket square swap group, so stay tuned on that front...

Plus there's still my Accepted's blanket and there was a sale on Vanna's Choice at JoAnn's that has fueled the additional projects I feared my secret project might lead to...so it looks like I am going to be busy on the crochet front for a bit.  And you know what, not complaining one bit.  

So yeah...there you go.  Hope all is well with everyone.  

Have an awesome week!

C

No comments: