Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ooh, planning vacation projects...


So, as of this coming Friday, I am on vacation!  I am heading out to California to visit my little sister.  My mom is going to be there for a few days as well, so I am really looking forward to the trip.  Of course, part of planning a trip is planning the project(s) I will take with me.  Ooh, fun.

I have completed four of six rows on my CAL blanket.  I am fairly confident I can finish this blanket by the end of my vacation.  I will be taking it along to work on in the car for the road trip to St. Louis and back (we're driving up to StL then flying to California and back to StL because my high school reunion is on the 27th, and it was the most feasible way to fit that in along with the visit to my sister, since I am going to visit for her birthday, which is on the 26th).  

But blankets are big and not terribly portable, at least not by current airline standards, so I have also been trying to figure out a good small project to start.  I have come up with a solution and ordered the yarn (which will hopefully get here by Friday).  I don't want to say too much until it's finished because it is a gift for a friend, but I am kind of excited about it.  It also may lead to more projects if it comes out well.  Ahh...dominoes.

I also have been kicking around the idea of making an "Accepted's" blanket.  This would be my homage to the late great Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series.  The Accepted are Aes Sedai (Jordan's equivalent of witches/sorceresses) in training, and their status is denoted by white gowns with a trim along the hem that is a band of color for each of the seven Ajahs (factions) of the sisterhood.  Okay, so, what does that all mean, crochet-wise?  Well, what I want to make is a blanket with a white center and then the seven bands of color (the colors are red, green, brown, blue, grey, yellow, and white--I need to do some hunting to find the proper order they'll go in).    I think this could be a kind of spiffy (and also rather nerdy, but fun) project to do.  I am still debating whether to make it completely round or to do it with a round center and square it off, or do it as a big ol' granny square...so many choices.  I also think I am going to make myself finish my Doctor Who Scarves before I can start this one.

Anyhoo, so that's where I'm at the in the crochet world.

I hope you all are doing well, have a good one.
C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm also planning a trip to Hawaii for these vacations.