Saturday, June 21, 2008

Well, I've been busy, that's for sure.

My apologies for missing my post last week. I was actually in the process of getting my two blog posts up last week when the fuse box at my house literally exploded. This was on Sunday. We just finally got our power turned back on this morning. On top of that I had to undergo a medical procedure this week (I'm alright. It wasn't major but was necessary) and you can see I've had a lot going on lately.

But between sitting around in the hotel and recovery time from my surgery, I've been able to get a few small projects done on the crochet front.

First things first though, I did finish one of the house projects on my list last weekend. My books are now completely unpacked and pre-sorted. Once we get our bookshelves built, we'll be able to go through them all and get them purged and shelved much more easily. Huzzah! Here's some documentation on that front.

Yay, no more books!
(The kitties approve, now they have more space to lounge.)

Here's half of the sorted books...

And here's the other half. Obviously we won't be getting to use our guest room any time soon.
Then, after the power went out I couldn't really sort through office junk in the dark, and since crochet is portable, I went ahead and made these:

These are some fun little house socks I made (as you can see, working partly on my front porch). I used the leftover yarn from my friend's birthday blanket. It's the Red Heart Super Saver Bay Print. Good stuff. This is a really quick and easy pattern, worked side to side for the main part of the sock and then the toe is done in the round. You can find the pattern here.

I did make a few modifications to the pattern. I dropped ten stitches off of the ankle end of the sock for a shorter ankle (I don't like cuffs on my sock, which according to my husband is just completely bizarre). I also slip stitched the sides together instead of doing a single crochet join, so that there wouldn't be a big ridge on the inside of the sock. Also, I didn't have the hook size called for in the pattern so I used the Boye size F hook.

I actually started this pattern using one of my really awesome fancy stash yarns. It's Plymouth Yarn's Alpaca Boucle in color # 702 (a nice variegated yarn that alternated between dark and light blues). Unfortunately I didn't have enough of that yarn for my big feet, so even after two attempts I ended up having to frog the socks with that yarn and go to my leftover basket. That's okay though, that's why I have the extras. :o) I think that the Alpaca yarn might end up getting used to make doll blankets. We'll see though.

Okay, and then there was one more project, also with the leftover Bay Print yarn. The original blanket I made with that yarn was for a friend's birthday. Well, she loves the blanket, and it turns out so does her pet chinchilla, Bullet. So much so, in fact, that she wants to take the blanket to work with her, since it's lighter than anything else she has, and she feels guilty doing so, because every time Bullet comes out of his cage he heads straight for it. So I made him his own miniature version of the blanket.

Hopefully having his own blanket will distract him from the big one.

So there you have it. That's what I have been up to. I also bought all of the yarn to make the blanket for my best friend's parents. I'm planning to get started on that one tomorrow.

I hope you all have a good week.

Take care,

No comments: