Sunday, June 1, 2008

Here's what I am working on at the moment.

Alrighty, here's a glimpse at my latest project. I am calling this one "Hug" because it is a cheer-me-up gift for a friend of ours who has been having a rough time of it lately. She's going to be in town this coming weekend so the plan is to give it to her then. I have the remaining rows all scheduled out, so I should be able to get this done by Wednesday evening if all goes well.

This is going to require some will power on my part though, because Lego Indiana Jones the video game comes out on Tuesday and I of course pre-ordered it. But I am not allowed to even open it until I've finished my Tuesday rows. I swear.

Anyhoo, the blanket is a throw and I am making it using the Chevron Afghan pattern on

Here's where I was as of Monday night (which considering I started it last Sunday is not too bad, I feel):

This is about a quarter of the way done. It's not as wide as I had hoped it would turn out (hence it being only a throw), so I might use a bigger hook the next time I use this pattern. I really do dig the design. The big challenge for me is that it is a very simple design--every row is exactly the same unless there's a color change. The monotony makes it easy for me to get distracted and make mistakes. But for the most part I've been good. Also, it's a side-to-side project, and those kind of drive me a little crazy sometimes. I'm always a bit worried that I'll either drop some stitches or throw some extra ones in and not realize it until several rows later, which just never is a good thing. But this one is coming along pretty nicely, so maybe I am getting past that particular hurdle. I did invest in a row counter (well, technically I think it's a stitch counter for knitting, but I am using it to keep track of rows) for this project and I am loving it. Definitely worth the two bucks.

So, here's where I am as of last night:

PROGRESS!! I only have 48 rows left to do, and then the border. I think I'm just going to do two rows of single crochet around the edge (in the green) rather than do a fringe as the pattern calls for. Our friend has a kitty, and I know from experience the things kitties can do to fringe. Also fringe doesn't hold up so well to the washer/dryer IMO.

A few other notes:
-The pattern actually calls for five colors, and I am only using two, but I am still pretty pleased with how it's come out. I may give it a try with the five sometime and see what happens.
-The pattern also calls for a size J hook and I'm using a size K. Mostly this is because I don't appear to have a size J hook.

So there you go. I will put up photos of the finished project next week.

I hope you all have a lovely week.

Take care,

No comments: