Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hey, look who's back!

Sigh, I have been neglecting this one, sorry about that. In all fairness, I was on the road last Sunday and that is why there was no post, but also for some reason I was in a crochet funk the last little while and just really didn't have anything new to report.

While I have made some progress on my Doctor Who scarves, I have also realized that this project is going to take me a while to complete, because it's not one that I am compelled to get done on any sort of schedule. I am therefore declaring this my "in between projects" project and putting it on hiatus for the moment. Here's how far I have gotten so far though:


And on the miniature:


Despite my lack of scarf-related motivation, however, I did manage to get one of my long-time pending projects done this weekend.

Behold, the faux vintage purse!


I am pretty happy with how this came out, though I am still debating on whether or not to keep it for myself or gift it upon someone. I really like how the Noro Silk Garden yarn came out on this. I think this was the perfect project for my special yarn. I didn't have quite enough for the whole thing, so I ended up using this cool pale green that my mom sent me last year for my birthday (thanks, Mom!) on the side panels for a nifty contrast, see...


I really love how the contract yarn worked up, I can't wait to figure out the right project for the rest of the skein.

Here's a glimpse at the purse in its various stages:


(Here's the lining with handles.)

(Here's the body of the purse.)

Here is the patten for anyone interested.

Materials: 2 Skeins Noro Silk Garden Yarn, 1 Skein Brooks Farm Wool Yarn, Size F Crochet Hook, Pair of 8.5"x5.5" Oval Bamboo Purse Handles, Liner Fabric, Needle, Thread

Liner:
Cut one piece of fabric 24" long and 10" wide (body)
Cut two pieces of fabric 9" long and 3" wide (side panels)
Starting 1.5" from top of main body piece, sew one of the smaller panels on each side (.25" from edge)
Fold main body piece so that ends are even, sew other sides of panels
Sew bottom of side panels to bottom of main body panel
Fold remaining top portion of body over a handle and sew in handle (do for each side).
Turn right side out.

(I hope those make sense, I don't work with many sewing patterns, and I kind of just made this one on the fly.)

Purse:
With main color, chain 40.
Row 1: Single crochet (SC) in second chain from hook, SC across (39 SC).
Rows 2-5: Chain 1, turn, SC across (39 SC).
Rows 6-20: Chain 3, turn, double crochet (DC) in second stitch from hook, DC in each stitch across (39 DC including chain 3).
Rows 21-30: Chain 1, turn, SC across (39 SC).
Rows 31-45: Chain 3, turn, DC in second stitch from hook, DC in each stitch across (39 DC including chain 3).
Rows 46-50: Chain 1, turn, SC across (39 SC).
Finish off.
*Side panel Row 1: With contrast color, join on edge of row 21 (first SC in center of body), chain 3, DC in each of next 9 rows (10 DC including chain 3).
Rows 2-15: Chain 3, turn, DC across (10 DC including chain 3).
Rows 16-20: Chain 1, turn, SC across (10 SC).
Finish off.**
Repeat from * to ** on other side for second panel.
Join sides of side panels to rest of body with slip stitch (two in each DC stitch, one in each SC).
Turn right side out.
Slip liner into purse.
At right corner of front of purse, join with main color, chain 1.
SC around top edge, join with slip stitch (98 SC).
4 slip stitch around handle to attach to purse.
39 SC.
4 slip stitch around next handle spot.
10 SC.
4 slip stitch around next handle spot.
39 SC.
4 slip stitch around next handle spot.
10 SC, join with slip stitch to first SC, finish off.

Okay, there you have it.

I have a few new potential projects floating around in my head, so hopefully I'll have more details on those soon.

I hope all is well wherever you are.

Toodles,
C







No comments: